September 2, 2014
I swapped my current Speakout SIM (with a data plan) to a newer phone that's a bit better model than my current phone. The newer phone had its own Speakout SIM, and the new SIM swapped in just fine to transfer voice and SMS service. But data service isn't working. It's active on my account. The phone's SIM status (under Android Settings - About Phone - SIM status) with the new SIM shows that data is "in service". But no data connection.
The new phone had data active on its own Speakout SIM last month, so it certainly works with Speakout service. As a test I swapped my current Speakout SIM back to the original phone (data still works), and then to a third phone that has previously worked with Speakout - same symptom with that phone, voice and SMS service swaps fine, no data connection.
The phones all connect successfully to the Speakout network. Mobile data is enabled on all of them. Data service continues to work only on the original phone with the original SIM. APN information should be correct for the Speakout SIM.
Update: never mind, problem solved. I forgot I did a factory data reset to clean up the phone before re-testing the data service with everything re-installed, and it turns out that cleared the APN information and it was not restored from the Speakout SIM. I copied it from the old phone, and all good now.