April 17, 2016
I am here in Canada for a month and was looking for a prepaid SIM with as much affordable data as possible.
I settled on the 7eleven speakout 30 day value plan with 100min +1GB of data for a total of $45+$10 sim card.
Everything seemed fine until I tried to activate it on my iphone 6S.
1) Data doesn't work at all. Apparently it is a known issue that iOS 9 and speakout data does not go together.
2) Customer service refused to help, and cited terms and conditions saying that speakout does not guarantee data usage with "3rd party phones"
3) I was able to fix it through looking up solutions in forums, but only after significant frustration and time cost.
4) Even after connecting, the data is only 3G
5) NONE of this was stated on their website!!!
Overall, a terrible terrible experience. I definitely do NOT recommend their prepaid SIM data plans.
October 14, 2008
1. Data does work, as you stated in point #3.
2. Why should customer service support phones they don't sell? You can't expect them to support every phone/device that is out there. You wouldn't walk into a Toyota dealership looking for info on a Honda, right?
3. No one promised data over 3G.
From the official site:
“Not every phone works with a SIM card. Unless your phone was purchased from SpeakOut Wireless, it must be an unlocked GSM 850/1900MHz, HSPA handset. That probably means the football phone is out. But don’t worry; we’re doing you a favour. Voice and texting services are supported on non-SpeakOut handsets, and data service will vary for non-SpeakOut handsets. Beware: Customer Care agents are not able to support or troubleshoot data settings for non-SpeakOut handsets, so make sure you know a thing or two about your phone.”